Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving?

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.  Mine was okay.  I'm not going to give it any higher marks than just okay.  Here's a wrap up of my Thanksgiving (note: it is going to sound an awful lot like complaining, but really, it's just the facts folks).

On Monday, I was trying to get things wrapped up so I could go home on Wednesday.  My mom's birthday is mid-December, so I wanted to get her birthday present and bring it home, so I wouldn't have to ship it.  I went over to Neiman's, got her present, and then on the way home, BAM! I got sick.  I thought it was allergies, and maybe it is, but I have felt like total crap-ola ever since. 

Tuesday was kind of a blur.  I had morning class and night class.  I lost my voice while lecturing in each.  I still felt bad, so I prepared nothing for my trip home.

Wednesday morning I got up, did some packing and was about to wrap my Mom's present when I got a phone call that my grandfather was on the way to the hospital via ambulance because they thought he was having a stroke.  So I finished packing up and loaded the car and headed out of town.  I stopped at my parents' house to drop off Lola and then I went to the hospital.  They think it was a TMA (mini stroke).  It affected his speech, but that is slowly getting better.  They kept him overnight, and now he has to follow-up with a neurologist because it is apparently a precursor to more strokes.

Wednesday night we had a fish fry at my other grandmother's house.  Thankfully I remember to bring the slaw that I made (because I forgot several other things in the rush).

Thursday morning was an early morning because Mom and I had lots of cooking to do.  The funniest part was that I got confused about the turkey and prepared the bottom of the turkey as if it was the turkey breast!  I only discovered when it was about to go in the oven and had to re-do the whole thing.  I'm not sure if it was a blonde moment or the mucinex I am living on right now.

Also on Thursday's list of misadventures is this little heart warming story:  I hadn't even gotten up from the dinner table yet.  My Dad came in and said, "You need to go home and take care of your dog.  She needs a bath and I've locked her outside."  Side note:  I didn't even know my Dad had left my grandmother's and gone home, so I was confused for a minute here.  It seems that sweet little princess Lola had drug one side of her head and beard through Milly's dog poop.  Yes, she was sh*t-faced and I do not mean drunk!  I cannot imagine what possessed her, but I had to put her in their garage sink and proceeded to do what Lola would testify to (if she could speak English) as "waterboarding". 

After all that, I never even felt like eating a piece of pie yesterday!  I did bring a piece of the pie my mom had made per my request home and have eaten a bite of it so far.

I came home last night.  I didn't do any shopping today, but I did go to Target and get 2 fresh turkeys.  They needed to be frozen or cooked by tomorrow, so they were major cheap...$3.25 each for 13.5 lb turkeys.  I put one in the freezer and cooked the other one this afternoon.  Yes, my second turkey in 2 days.  I didn't get any leftovers off the 21 lb one yesterday, so I plan to make paninis and a turkey-noodle casserole that my grandma makes.

I felt so poorly all weekend that I didn't snap one dang picture.  Here's a iphone picture of Turkey #2:

Oh, and at least I managed to purchase the one item on my Black Friday shopping list.  Yes, I cheated a bit.  I had gone to Sam's Club on Monday and they handed me a flyer which contained some of the Friday sales.  In it was a TV that I have been wanting for my bedroom for about $175 cheaper than the normal price.  Thursday morning while the turkey was baking and I was waiting to do everything else, I got online and found that I could purchase it on their website and they had free shipping!  No 5 a.m. lines required! 

So here I am on Friday night.  Still feeling puny.  Having a ton of stuff to do and no energy or desire to do it.  I do not even have the slightest desire to put up any of my Christmas stuff, which if you know me, just might be a sign of the Apocalypse.

Hoping you had a great Thanksgiving though!

Comments

Rebeka said…
Ohh I'm so sorry your Thanksgiving was so shitty (pun intended).
I hope everything is alright with your Grandpa and that his health continues to improve.
Also, girl, eat that pie! It'll make you feel better :)
AND two turkeys in two days sounds perfect! You can never have enough leftovers! Enjoy and feel better!
Legally Lovely said…
Sheesh - you ran into some bad luck this week! So sorry to hear that your Thanksgiving did not go so smoothly, but at least you have a brand new television to look forward to! I agree with Rebeka - eat some pie! I bet some turkey soup would be good too! Hope you feel better soon.
JEF said…
Sorry Thanksgiving was kind of crappy. Ours was just ok as well. Feel better soon.
courtney said…
boooooo to sickness over the holidays!! sorry you feel puny--hope you feel better soon! and, thank goodness for online shopping--your thanksgiving could have REALLY been ruined!! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo