Skip to main content

No repeats please

Today is Groundhog Day, and I pray that it will not be like the movie and repeat itself.  Not that it was particularly bad.  Nothing horrible happened, but it was just one of those busy days where everyone seemed like they were placed on this early to annoy you.

This morning started out with the following plan:

(1) Jennifer and I had a "firm client" that was set at 8:30.  He has been a continual pain for months and we were happy to be resolving of his case.  I had spoken on the phone with him yesterday (twice) to give him directions for today.  Not to mention the fact that he has been in trouble before, so this wasn't his first rodeo. Plan was to jointly discuss everything with him and then Jennifer would handle the plea, while I went to deal with...

(2) I had a client that was set for an arraignment because we are set for a Jury Trial on Monday.  Basically, this entails the judge calling us up, asking if we are ready for trial, and then telling us what day to be back next week for our trial (or passing us to a new setting if we are not going to be reached).  I had talked with the court coordinator yesterday and learned that we were #2 on the line-up, so we would likely be going next week.

(3) Once I was done at that courthouse, I was going to go to the other courthouse to pass a case that is set on tomorrow's docket early, because Lisa and I are Canton Trade Days bound tomorrow.


Here's how it really played out...

At 8:29 a.m., I get a call from the pain in the rear client wanting to know what he was suppose to do because he was out in the hall in front of the court.  "Have a seat and have 3 seconds of patience because I'm walking down the hall as we speak!", was my response.  Not a great start.

We go over everything and I leave Jennifer with him and go to the other court for my arraignment.  Judge calls my case, but my client is not there yet.  I go call my client who says he's 30 minutes out.  At that moment I get a text from Jennifer, that the daycare called and baby Harper is sick (RSV & ear infection it turns out).  I go down, send her on her way to the doctor and handle the plea with pain in the rear client.

Then I go take care of the arraignment.  Turned out it was lucky my client was late, because by the time he showed up, the trial slots were filled for next week.  The judge asked if I wanted to be placed on "back-up" and I said, "Well judge, I've got 5 appeals due next week, so getting passed over really doesn't hurt my feelings."  To which he replied, "You've got too much to do, just get a new trial date".  And at that moment, a 300 pound gorilla was released from my back!  Hallelujah!

The rest of the day, every single annoyance that could happen did happen:

(1) From me waiting for 2 hours for a 3 minute hearing to take place this afternoon

(2) To a client who we've met with and I've spoken with on numerous times about a family law case calling back to ask if we were qualified to handle the case.  WHAT?!?!  Which resulted in me telling her that she just needed to move along to a different attorney. 

(3) To a client who cannot seem to get us some information we need to get something done for her that she needs.

Which all proceeded this text exchange between Jennifer and me this afternoon (I'm blue, she's white):


I just think that is hilarious!

The good news, I'm off tomorrow!  I'm blowing this joint and headed to Canton for a day of shopping and almost non-existent cell phone service... Bliss!

TGIF (almost!)

Comments

Legally Lovely said…
Retail therapy cures all! Hopefully you don't get a repeat of this day. blegh. I am not looking forward to the pain in the rear clients I know I'll encounter someday!
Mom said…
When things are that crazy it usually means a full moon, but it wasn't. Hope you have fun at Canton!

Popular posts from this blog

Swiss Oatmeal {Copy Cat Recipe}

I'm obsessed with Swiss Oatmeal.  I particularly love   Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal.  If you are not familiar with Swiss Oatmeal, it is a cold oatmeal cereal with fruit and nuts. I've had a similar recipe for years, but it was only similar.  It wasn't close enough for my liking.  So I finally set out into the land of Pinterest to find a recipe that was a good Copy Cat.  I found a few, combined them and came up with what I think is a very close Copy Cat Recipe of Corner Bakery's Swiss Oatmeal. Here's what I do (note, this recipe is really just pictures, because I don't really have measurements for these things.  The photos aren't great, but it's easier if I show you what I do)... Here's the Phase 1 ingredients...   Milk Honey Yogurt (I use a vanilla greek yogurt) Oats (old fashioned, not quick...you probably could do steel cut too)    I've simplified this to where you only need a bowl and a spoon for Phase 1 becau

Europe 2023 {Day 9 ~ Munich & Bavarian Alps}

 On Tuesday, December 20th I grabbed breakfast at the hotel and then walked about 15 minutes to where I met my tour for the day.  On my first visit to Munich, I only had time for one "day trip" outside of the city and I chose to go to Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial, but I always knew I wanted to venture down to the Bavarian Alps and see some castles on my next visit.  I had booked the premium tour and it was so fancy.  There was a snack bar and they even served beer and wine on the way home after the last stop of the day.  First stop was at Linderhof Castle. This was a "small" castle of King Ludwig's that was a partial mini-replica of Versailles.  It was a snowy walk to the castle... Interior photos were not allowed, but you can see some pics of the interior HERE Like Versailles, there are fountains and sculptures surrounding Linderhof, but they cover the statues with wood huts to protect them from the winter elements. After visiting Linderhof, we made a (to

It's all about the dress...

I mean I guess it's really all about getting married, but come on, you always anticipate the dress right?  Well holy moly folks!  Today a big secret was released to the press.  No, we still don't know which dress or tiara Kate will be wearing, but we heard for the first time that Princess Diana had a back-up dress!  Here are some of the pictures and sketches... Real dress on Left~ Back-up on the Right Here are the sketches of the back-up dress And you know what?  I like the back-up dress better than the one she wore!  I know, I know.  I'm going to get blasted for saying that, but I'll just confess it right now... My name is Kara and I've never thought Princess Diana's dress was all that and a bag of chips.  Nope.  Not my favorite Royal Wedding Dress by any stretch of the imagination.  What is my favorite?  Probably the one that Sarah Ferguson wore when she married Andrew... It had beautiful beading and stitching throughout.  Also on the train it had an &quo