Thursday, July 5, 2012

Beating the Heat Treat

This week has not been that bad, but last week was HOT!  I decided to make homemade ice cream in an effort to beat the heat. 

I have a cheapo ice cream freezer that I got on clearance at Target for like $15.  It's not the best, but seeing as I only make homemade ice cream once a year, I have hardly ever been able to justify the expensive wooden kind.  Even though this is a cheap, plastic kind, I still prefer it to those kind where you freeze the bowl and don't use ice/salt.

I don't know why I wrapped it in a towel.  I saw my great-grandmother do it.  My grandmother do it.  My Mom do it.  So by-golly I'm going to do it!
I added some fresh peaches to mine


There are tons of great recipes out there for homemade ice cream or custards.  I went the easy route and used my Mom's recipe because it is tried and tested (and did I mention easy?). 

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

6 eggs beaten
3 2/3 cups of sugar
3 teaspoons of vanilla
2 tall cans of Pet (evaporated) milk
1 small carton of half & half
finish filling with regular milk

Now I know people get all crazy about the raw eggs, but we've been eating this for years and all has been well.

Here's another one of my Mom's recipes that I really like (gosh I may just have to break out and make another round of homemade ice cream this year!)...

Tutti-Frutti Ice Cream

1 can Eagle Brand milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (undrained)
1 (11 oz.) can mandarin oranges (drained and chopped)
1 cup water
3 cups milk

Combine first 7 ingredients; blend well.  Add water and milk.  Pour mixture into freezer can of a 1 gallon freezer.  Freeze according to freezer directions.  Allow ice cream to ripen at least 1 hour (does this mean that you should let it sit for one hour before eating it?  Mom?).

3 comments:

Mom said...

Yes, that's what it means. I'm not sure we've always followed that part of the directions.

Rebeka said...

I loveee making ice cream! So good!! That peach kind looks awesome. I've never made ice cream that didn't require cooking, I'm going to save this recipe though :) thank you for sharing.

The Cooper Family said...

I think we have talked about my quest for the homemade vanilla recipe that is similar to the one in Canton. How does this one compare?

 

2009 sweet cheeky designs sweet cheeky designs

Site Meter